All members of the interprofessional diabetes management care team. The team includes, but is not limited to, physicians, physician assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners, dietitians, pharmacists, and other health care professionals.
At the end of this activity, the participants should be able to:
- Discuss recommendations included in the American Diabetes Association (ADA) Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes related to obesity management.
- Describe the relationship between lifestyle factors of diet and exercise and obesity and diabetes and discuss the evidence supporting lifestyle modification in the treatment of obesity and diabetes.
- Define the behavioral goals of lifestyle modification.
- Evaluate the efficacy, safety, and clinical utility of currently available medications to aid weight loss and maintenance.
- Describe the indications for metabolic surgery in people with obesity and type 2 diabetes.
- Explore the different types of metabolic surgery and compare outcomes associated with different types of metabolic surgery.
- Discuss the long-term care needs for patients after metabolic surgery.