All members of the interprofessional diabetes management care team. The team includes, but is not limited to, physicians, physician assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners, dietitians, pharmacists, and other health care professionals.
At the end of this activity, the participants should be able to:
• Categorize patient characteristics that would assist clinicians in identifying the appropriate management for therapeutic intensification beyond basal insulin in type 2 diabetes.
• Discuss the implications of adverse effects associated with various classes of antihyperglycemic medications.
• Compare and contrast advantages and disadvantages of various preparations used for intensification of insulin.
• Educate and guide individuals with diabetes in the management of plasma glucose levels in relation to insulin intensification therapies.
• Employ clinical practice recommendations from practice guidelines toward the optimal use of different classes of drugs for intensification of insulin therapy in individuals with diabetes.