This activity is intended for optometrists and other eye care professionals.
At the end of this activity, the attendees should be able to:
- Define diabetes and prediabetes and the criteria for their diagnosis.
- Understand the three pathways to diabetes prevention: lifestyle modification, pharmacological treatment, and bariatric surgery.
- Identify recommended glycemic target ranges for people with diabetes.
- Describe the causes, symptoms, and appropriate treatment of hypoglycemia.
- Appreciate the team approach to diabetes care and the role of eye care professionals on the treatment team.
- Understand the multiplicity of barriers faced by people with diabetes in their daily lives.